Penbont House has seen many changes and taken many shapes.
This page has been compiled to give a brief overview of the history of Penbont House. In time we hope to provide a fuller picture of the use and changes to this property.
As a start we know that at the time of compulsory purchase by the Birmingham Corporation, it was a small farmhouse.
During the construction of the Elan Valley dams it would likely have housed workers, whilst the bungalow on the opposite hillside housed the Chief Engineer.
With completion of the dams the house was altered to the ‘L-shape’ property visible in the photographs above. It is believed that windows from the dismantled Cwm Elan House were re-used in the refurbishment.
Details obtained from Elan Valley Trust records from 1941 onwards.
Prior to 19th August 1941
Requisitioned and occupied by the Military Authority.
19th August 1941
After being handed back the property was believed to be unoccupied.
1st January 1946 - 22nd September 1953
Occupied by a Mrs C.R. Jones
30th September 1953 - February 1968
Occupied by Mr John Scott and housekeeper Miss E.A. Jones
February 1968 - 30th June 1968
Occupied by housekeeper Miss E.A. Jones after the passing of Mr Scott
25th March 1969 - 30th April 1970
Occupied by Mr E.D. (Ned) Evans, formerly of Alltgoch and Llannerch y Cawr.
July 1970 - 31st March 1981
Mr J.T.L (Les) Hall, formerly of Tyrmynydd.
25th March 1982 - November 1983
Mr Mal Rogers and family, before moving to Glanhirin.
1st September 1984 - 17th November 1997
Laurence Dowden, running the Guest House; the Flickering Lamp.
1st November 1998 - October 2011
Mr Peter Jennings
May 2012 - Autumn 2016
Sandra Sankey, running the Penbont Tearoom and Bed and Breakfast.